A mere two days after posting my first project and I'm already off onto a tangent, though I intend that this tangent be the main project. I have made a start on me new Dogs of War army! I've had half-hearted ones in the past, but they rarely made it to the 1000pts mark. I aim to be different with this one - it shall continue! I've no other Warhammer armies anymore, they're now dotted around the country in the hands of others now, so this now is my best chance. The Frogs shall just have to sit and gather dust until I can face painting those crossbelts again.
Having been happy with Perry Miniatures' service and model quality, I want to see if I can use them as much as possible for this army. Games-Workshop have gotten just that bit too expensive for me for what I get. With their variety of ranges, I'm sure I can use something for each unit, and get a bit of a theme going. A combination of Hundred Year War Europeans and Crusader Muslims: the armoured and ranked Europeans for the Tilean mainstream infantry and cavalry, and the Muslims as the Arabyan lighter infantry and cavalry.
This is the plan for the moment:
- Generals and Captains - A mix of European and Muslim models. There's a nice command set in the 'Agincourt to Orleans' range (AO14) that would do very nicely, as would MA28 in the Crusader range
- Wizards - Either the Clerics or Clergy in the Crusader range with their insignia removed, depending on how extravagant I want the wizard to be. The Clerics do provide a range of different looking models, which could be used for several lores.
- Paymaster - Perhaps the unhelmeted model in the command set above. Alternatively, I could have him be an Arabyan too. Depends which fancy takes me later, I suppose.
- Pikemen - 'Agincourt to Orleans' pikemen
- Crossbowmen - 'Agincourt to Orleans' crossbowmen or Crusader crossbowmen
- Heavy Cavalry - 'Agincourt to Orleans' mounted sergeants or men-at-arms, depending how heavily armoured I want them to be.
- Duellists - Might have to go outside the box with regards to their equipment. I love the look of the Saljuq soldiers, and would arm the duellists with throwing knives (Count As) and bucklers.
- Light Cavalry - I quite like the Bedouin cavarly, so might grab these if I just arm them with spears.
- Paymaster's Bodyguard - Depends on whether I go for a Tilean or Arabyan paymaster. The dismounted men-at-arms would be fine for a Tilean one. Not sure about any from Araby.
- Dwarfs - Probably the GW ones.
- Norsemen - Not sure about these. I'll probably have to go outside the Perry line to find these.
- Ogres - Probably the GW ones.
- Halflings - Probably the GW ones.
- Cannon - I reckon I'll probably go for an Empire cannon with Agincourt models as crewmen. All of the Perry cannons are far too small and realistic for my Warhammer tastes!
- Halfling Hot Pot - Haven't the foggiest...
I've grabbed a couple of Agincourt pikemen to start with, just to get back into the routine of mottley painting. No more proper uniforms!